Sewing zippers, snaps and buttons for dolls
Ready to hand sew some fully functional closures for your doll’s clothes? This tutorial will walk you through how to create buttonholes, sew on metal snaps and install zippers—all without a machine. Look for lots of extra tips throughout this guide to ensure that your closure installation experience is frustration free!
The following supply list includes all of the materials used throughout this tutorial, so your supply needs will depend on which type of closure you are creating. Supplies that may be difficult to find are hyperlinked for you.
Longer tutorials are saved as PDF files. PDF trouble?
Supplies and Materials
- Doll scale buttons
- Size 4/0 sew-on snaps
- Doll zippers
- Waxed thread, such as prewaxed Silamide beading thread
- Sharp sewing needle small enough to pass through buttons & snaps
- Disappearing ink Marker or fabric chalk
- Ruler or straight edge
- Thin Permanent ink pen or fabric pen—optional
- Awl or large needle
- Steam Iron—Recommended
- White Tacky Glue: I like Crafter’s Pick “The Ultimate”
- Sewing Pins
- Fray Check